Saturday, December 2, 2006

AFFIDAVIT OF RALPH GAJUS


http://www.angel-diaz.us/legal/Motionforrel.htm


AFFIDAVIT OF RALPH GAJUS

I, Ralph Gajus, being first duly sworn, depose and say that:
1. In 1984 I was inmate in the Dade County Jail awaiting trial on a
first degree murder charge. I was in the jail with Angel Diaz for 6
months. We were on the 6th floor on a wing with 6 cells. Angel Diaz
was in the cell directly across from me and we would speak to each
other across the hall from each other..2. Angel Diaz spoke English with a very thick accent and used
simple words. I sometimes had a hard time understanding Angel
Diaz. I did not speak any Spanish. We would communicate by using
our hands and with Angel Diaz's broken English. We also would
write notes to each other.
3. We would always talk about each other cases. I told him about
mine and he always talked about his. Angel Diaz told me about a
robbery at a bar with two other guys and amid the commotion a man
was shot. Angel Diaz acted out the shooting using his hands. I do not
know what really happened or whether Angel Diaz did the shooting.
Angel Diaz never told me that he shot anyone.
4. During this time, Angel Diaz and I also talked about planning an
escape. We passed notes among the inmates to plan the escape.
Before the escape took place I read a note from Angel Diaz to
another inmate and I believed I was going to be in danger during the
escape. I asked the jail guards to move me and told the jail about the
escape plan. I was angry with Angel Diaz because I found out they
were not going to take me and I believed I was in danger.
5. After I was moved and told the jail about the escape Detective
Smith and another officer came to talk to me about Angel Diaz.
When the detective spoke to me about Angel Diaz's case I asked
them to help me out with my case. They told me they would make a
statement for me to the Judge.
6. I testified at Angel Diaz's trial that Angel Diaz acted out the
shooting and that he shot the man. I testified that Angel Diaz was the
shooter. At that time I testified I was unsure who really was the
shooter because Angel Diaz never told me and when he acted out the
shooting it was very unclear. I testified that I believed that Angel
Diaz was the shooter because I was angry about the escape plan and
I believed that the police were going to help me with my case.
7. I plead guilty to second degree murder in August or September
1985 and was sentenced in 1986. I recall that Detective Smith
testified at
my sentencing that I helped with the escape and that I helped in their
case against Angel Diaz. I was sentenced to 20 years with a three
year mandatory.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT./s/ Ralph Gajus

No comments: